Thursday 3 March 2011

Pokemon White Log: Day one.

So today I went into town and bought Pokemon White after saying that I wasn't going to bother oh isn't it funny how things don't go as planned. truth is I had some games to trade so I got it for the sweet price of £3.
Anyway after a good 5 hours worth of playtime before the game has even come out I have to say that this isn't simply more of the same. I don't know why but there is something about Pokemon White that feels fresh, I think it may be how they have adjusted the direction slightly.

Once again I am playing as a boy who has been sent on a journey by a scientist to fill an electronic encyclopedia that can instantly record the data of any Pokemon you find which is funny because this suggests that the pokedex already has all 500 odd Pokemon recorded on it and that the data has to be unlocked by finding and capturing all Pokemon, is it not possible to just jail break the thing, take it to the professor and be like "lol, dun".
Anyway starting my journey I decided to go with the grass starter as it was the least stupid looking of the three. After a fairly well done hour long tutorial where I was introduced to my 3 main rivals and the evil team I was ready to go. I caught some Pokemon and I even had one given to me for free for the sole purpose of using it to beat the first gym. I like the idea of the first gym because the leader is different depending on which starter you choose, it is much kinder in that respect than say Pokemon Red where the first two gyms were Rock and Water putting your Charmander at a huge disadvantage, this problem was around in all the Pokemon games. Pokemon Gold had the first gym be flying screwing over anyone who choose Chikorita, Ruby put the Rock gym first making it harder for Torchic users, Diamond had you start with rock again though the game balanced it out better by having the grass gym straight after.

In terms of leveling the difficulty curve has shot up slightly it may just be down to the fact that the towns are closer together than they used to be, from the starting town you could run to the second gym in less than 5 minutes, i ain't joking the towns are that close together because of the shorter routes it feels like the game is harder, had the routes been more stretched out this might not have been the case because of this design I find myself level grinding quite a lot.

After 5 hours play I have seen 20 Pokemon and obtained 11 with my party consisting of these Pokemon:
-Snivy Lv.16 - This is the grass started and because he is a snake I called him Stone Cold as in the wrestler because his nickname was the Texas Rattle Snake.
-Blitzle Lv.11 - I called this one Awesome because of its design, it is a Zebra with a lightning bolt sticking out of his head. Sadly it isn't as awesome as it looks and is pretty weak I'm hoping it becomes good after I train it some more.
-Roggenrola Lv.14 - Possibly one of the most stupid Pokemon names to date. This thing is basically Geodude but it isn't a ground type meaning that electric attacks hurt it, damn. it is still pretty handy though being rock type and all.
-Herdier Lv.16 - This was a different Pokemon before but it evolved, this is the obligatory Dog pokemon and it is this generations Linoone meaning it gets in the party by default. I name it Road Dogg after the wrestler.
-Pidove lv.15 - I haven't given this one a name because my mind went blank when doing so. Pidove is this generations bird Pokemon and it is a pigeon, literally, it isn't a Pokemon it is a bloody pigeon. Seeing it makes me want them to use Pidgey again.
-Panpour Lv.14 - This was the Pokemon that was given away to me for free so that I could beat the first gym it is one of 3. there are 3 elemental monkeys in this game fire, water and grass, this is the water one. I called it Fro because it has an Afro. Come think of it the Fire starter from last gen was a monkey doesn't it seem like a cop out having 2 fire chimps two generations in a row?
I caught some other Pokemon but they suck hence why I ain't using them.

With one gym beat after 5 hours I can see this being the longest Pokemon game ever made which wouldn't be a bad thing because the more story events the better once the single player game is done with you are left with the multiplayer and even that grows tiresome eventually.

So that's my first day on Pokemon White this time tomorrow I should be done with the second gym and I would have moved on to bigger things.

No comments:

Post a Comment